An archaeological expedition, exploring the famous Bryn-Kelly-Dee mound on the island of Anglesey off the coast of Wales, found another mound next to it. A new mound is about a thousand years younger than Bryn-Kelly-Dee; it was built about 4,000 years ago.
The first buildings in Bryn Kelly Dee appeared in the Neolithic era, when a circle of stones (henge) was built there. Judging by archaeological finds, sacrifices were made there. After a thousand years, henge was disassembled and piled a mound, in which a corridor tomb was erected. In 1928 – 1929, Wilfrid Hemp, who found flint arrowheads, human bones and a stone with an intricate pattern carved on it in the central burial chamber, excavated it. Now this “Pattern Stone” (Pattern Stone) has become one of the main exhibits of the National Museum of Wales, and a copy of it is installed in Breen-Kelly-Dee. The underground corridor in the tomb of Bryn-Kelly-Dee was made in such a way that a ray of the rising sun penetrated inside and illuminated the burial chamber on the day of the summer solstice.
This year, archaeologists have paid attention to the stone mound 150 meters from the entrance to the mound Bryn-Kelly-Dee. They discovered that it was a stone mound (cairn), created on top of the mound at about the same time when, in Bryn-Kelly-Dee, instead of henge, a mound with a corridor tomb was built. The dating of the found fragments of ceramics showed that they belong to 1900 BC. e., but archaeologists suggest that some artifacts may be older. Stone tools and a double curb of massive stones surrounding the mound, some of which weighed more than a ton, were dug up. Perhaps, once this mound was more extensive than its famous neighbor. So far, archaeologists have not found any graves in the new mound, but fragments of human remains can be found by carefully analyzing the material extracted during the excavations.