Throughout almost all history of India on its territories there were continuous wars. Local princelings were at war with each other, empires met in deadly fights. Arabs, Mongols, British, Dutches, French and Portuguese tried to bite off a piece of “the Indian pie”. All this forced the Indian governors to build forts of fortress and a citadel on borders of ownerships or in the area where there passed important trade ways. Also the majority Raj and maharajas was built by strongholds in heart of the territories. Strengthening of such plan with palaces and dozens of temples and mosques reminded the town. Such fortresses long time were a stronghold of various dynasties. However with the advent of more modern weapon and firm accession on a throne of India of the British Empire the need was gone in fortresses and the majority them was left and left on worry of the nature and time
Ancient Indian fortress rasplozhyonny on a height, around a mountain chain the Western Ghats, nearby small town of Ghatghar (the Area Pune. State of Maharashtra). It was constructed for control of trade ways, around important mountain pass Naneghat connecting the mainland of India to the western coast. The name of this pass is translated from local approximately as – the monetary admittance card (the nane-admittance card, a ghat-coin). In 1818 the fort was captured by British. Aggressors plundered and destroyed a fort, having also completely destroyed all approaches to it. Now rise to ruins of fortress is popular among fans of tracking and has high category of complexity (the V category)
About date of construction and who a ball constructed fortress in the mouth of the river Savitri at historians and researchers of a consensus isn’t present. The first mentioning of Bankot belongs to dynasty times Adil-shakhov (1490–1686). In 1548 Portuguese take fortress and take it under the control. After a while the commander of the maratkhsky fleet of Kankhodzhe Angre fights fortress off Europeans and includes it in structure of the Maratkhsky empire under a new name – Himmatgad. After maratkh fortress passed to a short period under management of British and it is renamed in honor of the English queen into the Fort Victoria again. However the citadel was far from trade ways of the East Indian company and its arrangement had no strategic importance any more and British without having seen any benefit to the interests left a citadel.
Kavaledurga Fort – is in the Western Ghats, at the height of 1541 meters, in 18 kilometers from the city of Tertakholli (State of Karnataka). The citadel was a stronghold Nayakov Keladi who were vassals of governors of the Vidzhayanagarsky empire. Construction of fortress dates the 9th century, in the 14th century defensive works capitally repaired and subjected small reorganization. Fortress is located on a height and surrounded three rows of the walls repeating offices of the hill. Walls nearly 9 meters high are put from big granite blocks, in certain places watchtowers were also built. In a citadel there were 15 temples (up to now “lived” only three), the palace of the governor, various economic and storage facilities (granaries, an arsenal, stalls for elephants and horses) and numerous reservoirs and pools. Now of the past calling fortresses there were only some sites of fortifications and three small temples all other constructions lie in ruins, destroyed by conquerors or time
It is considered that fortress is constructed local Robin by Goode – Byre Gowda nearly 400 years ago, in the 17th century. The fort has seven-level system of defensive works of the troops connected among themselves by passes for movement. The main feature of a fort is the system for collection of rain water. For this purpose at the different levels of strengthening in rocks 19 water storage basins of various size are cut down. In the highest point of fortress there is a temple devoted to Shiva very esteemed by locals
In 160 kilometers from Chennai, the capital of the State of Tamil Nadu there is well saved model of military and engineering art of ancient India – a fort Gingi (Sendzhi). It is one of the most strongly strengthened fortresses of India of that time. The governor of maratkh Shivadzhi estimated it as “the most unapproachable fortress in India”, and British called it “Troy of the East”. The fortress constructed at 15-16 centuries consists of three citadels of the standing hills which are separately located at tops nearby. Strengthenings on hills are connected among themselves by walls the total length of which about 13 kilometers. In strengthenings of 11 square kilometers occupying the space granaries, prison cells, sanctuaries and temples, and also several reservoirs for water storage are located. The main place of interest of a fort is the eight-story, tower 27 meters high with a pyramidal top part – Kalyana-Makhal. Ancient “skyscraper” is constructed in Indo-Islamic style, on each floor is available on only one big room, also it is equipped with difficult system of water supply even on the most top floors.
Chitradurga Fort – system fortification a construction from seven concentric defensive walls around rocky heights at tops of which are built citadels. Each wall has gate to which conduct twisting, narrow corridors. The name of a fort of Chitradurga is translated as “a picturesque fort”. The fort has been constructed in several stages between 17 – 18 – ми for centuries. Initially several dynasties of the governors of this region who are vassals of the Vidzhayanagarsky empire were engaged in his construction. At the end of the 18th century new owners of Haider Alya and his son Tipu Sultan considerably expand and modernize fortress. In 1799 Tippa Sultan has been killed by British and in fortress till 1809 the British garrison was placed