The day after Halloween 1994, Gloria Ramirez was rushed to the emergency room of a California hospital.
She suffered from cancer, but when the nurse took her blood, she noticed that something was really wrong. Gloria gave off such a disgusting smell that the hospital staff began to fall around her.
Gloria died just 40 minutes after arriving at the hospital, but 23 more people were injured. The worst hit was the nurse, who spent two weeks in intensive care, suffering from pancreatitis, hepatitis and avascular necrosis – literal decay of bones.
Despite careful investigation, the reason her blood became so toxic and infectious is still a mystery.