Field Marshal Mikhail Kutuzov: invulnerability and mysterious death

The story of the great Field Marshal Mikhail Kutuzov, who is considered a national hero and savior of Russia, is full of riddles and mysteries. He not only brilliantly repelled Napoleon’s invasion of Russia, but also survived terrible injuries, while remaining invulnerable. This unique historical character, who became the basis for official history, is still a source of interest and study to this day.

Kutuzov was wounded twice in the head during battles with the Turks in 1774 and 1788. The first bullet passed through his head from one temple to the other behind both eyes, and the second bullet entered his cheek, destroyed his upper teeth, passed through his head and exited the back of his head. By all the rules of medicine, Kutuzov should have died, but he not only survived, but remained capable.

The French surgeon Massot, who served in the Russian army, wrote after treating Kutuzov: “One must suppose that fate had appointed Kutuzov to something great, because he was still alive after two wounds – a death sentence by all the rules of medicine. According to science he should be dead, but he is alive.”

Kutuzov not only survived these terrible wounds, but continued to actively participate in events that changed world history. He became a symbol of resistance to Napoleon and the basis for official history.

However, not only the invulnerability of Kutuzov arouses interest, but also the circumstances of his death. On April 4, 1813, while in Buntslau, Kutuzov felt chills and got sick. His condition was worsening, his right arm failed. Doctors diagnosed: a severe form of polyneuritis. April 16 (28) at 21.30 Field Marshal died.

After Kutuzov’s death, his body was transported to St. Petersburg. The doctor performed an autopsy and embalmed the body, noting the unusually large size of the heart. Kutuzov’s body and heart were placed in a zinc coffin and a silver vessel with a screw cap. The mournful journey of the coffin with Kutuzov’s body on six horses lasted a month and a half.

On June 13, 1813 the funeral took place in the Kazan Cathedral. Above the grave was installed a plaque of red marble with an inscription in gilded letters: “Prince Mikhail Illarionovich Golenishchev-Kutuzov Smolensky was born in 1745, died in 1813 in the city of Buntslau.

The history of Mikhail Kutuzov is full of riddles and mysteries. His invulnerability after two fatal wounds raises questions and interest of researchers. How was he able to survive and remain capable? What was the cause of his mysterious death? The answers to these questions still remain unknown.

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x